The Library was first founded in 2016, then re-founded in 2017, by a group of writers that used Imgur.com, a popular image sharing site. Today, we have over 250 members, including writers of all skill levels.
Why should you join our community? Here are a few of the things we do:
- We help and encourage each other with discussion of writing projects, questions, bounce ideas off of each other, etc.
- We commiserate during National Novel Writing Month in November each year, where we try to write 50,000+ words in a month.
- We have weekly writing discussions about a specific topic, such as character arcs, writing action scenes, or editing a first draft.
- We have monthly ‘contests’, where people write flash fiction, short stories, or poems based on a theme. Like National Novel Writing Month, everyone who participates is a winner.
- We have critique channels, where people can post work and give/receive feedback. The more critique you give, the more you tend to receive!
- We have a writing sprint bot with an XP tracking system, so you can sign up for say, “write as many words as you can for 30 minutes”. The bot keeps a timer and multiple people can sprint at the same time to see who can produce the longest piece for the most XP. Call it “gameification” of writing!
- Our bot has a huge library of over 3,000 writing prompts, separated by genre and fiction/non-fiction. It also has a library of image prompts and other fun writing commands. These prompts are great for short stories, poems, or even novels if you feel up for it.
- We have a regular “round robin” writing activity, where each person writes a few paragraphs of the same story.
- We have chat rooms for socializing, posting videos and memes, playing games, and voice chatting. These channels are separated from the writing channels, so if you’re just here for the writing, feel free to mute them!
That’s what we do, pretty much. Need some more information before you join? This may help:
- We have a short Q&A when you join our server. This is mainly to weed out bots, trolls and mean people. When you first join, you won’t see the whole server until you answer the Q&A.
- We take the rules seriously. People are usually given one warning, and then are banned from the server. We do this to keep our server a positive and welcoming environment. If someone is violating the rules, please inform the moderation team immediately.
- The rules are pretty standard for Discord servers:
- We are age 18 and older only!
- Don’t ask, don’t tell. We don’t need to know someone’s location, sex, name, etc, unless they choose to discuss it.
- No racism/sexism/harassment of any sort. This includes: dog piling, baiting, and lewd or suggestive behavior directed at any specific member. Obviously there is some gray area here, but if someone asks you not to do something, please stop.
- Keep arguments, complaints, and personal issues in PM. If you have an issues with how the server is being run please contact the moderation team directly.
- No NSFW content (with a few exceptions). NSFW means nudity, porn, gore, graphic sexual acts, or suggestive material. This does not apply to written work that is marked NSFW in the critique section, or content posted in the NSFW Writing channel. Foul language/swearing is permitted throughout the server.
- Self-Promotion/Advertising must be approved by the moderation team. We have a special channel to promote your work!
- Respect the Moderation Team. They all work for free! If they ask you to do something, please do it. If you feel like you are being judged unfairly please contact the Server Admin/Overlord/Boss Lady.
- Do not distribute any content without permission from the author. Obviously!
- Use Google Docs for documents submitted for critique. Please follow the submission format that is listed in the channel.
- We are not here to do your homework for you
- We are not therapists nor do we encourage self pity. If that’s all you have to offer then this server is not for you.
- Please read the channel descriptions and conduct conversations in the appropriate channel. Check the pinned messages for more information.
- Encourage and support writing! We are first and foremost a writing community. We are here to discuss and encourage writing as an art form.